Thursday, January 26, 2006

Hillary: Two Home Runs in One Week!

Sorry about the sports metaphor, but I can think of no better way to express my glee at the convergence of Hillary's marvelous rhetorical skills and her legendary grasp of history, economics, morals, and concern for The People.

First, it was her remark about how The House of Representatives is run like a plantation, and now, this:


"I don't think we're going to be doing our moral duty to each other if we don't figure out how we're going to provide quality affordable health care to everyone."
How true!

Our health-care system is a mess because we have not figured out how to make it work. But of course, we (that is, our government representatives and academics such as yours truly) know exactly how to make it work. We just don't know how to defeat the powerful fascist pharmaceutical companies who are making the people sick for their filthy profits.

And so, for now, here is how I am fulfilling my moral duty:

1. I am wearing the cap pictured above to my classes; it's a real morale booster and an educational tool -- and my students love it! (It looks especially sharp with a Che T-shirt.)

2. I am stressing to my graduate economics students how we have already figured out how to solve the housing tragedy (solution: public housing and rent control), the eduation tragedy (solution: public schools and government loans to students), the transportation tragedy (public transportation and gas taxes), and so on. And therefore, how shall we solve the health-care tragedy? (That will be on the final exam!)

3. After we solve the health-care tragedy, it's on to food, clothing, and shelter!

No comments:

Palestine Blogs - The Gazette Subscribe in Bloglines